Celebrating a Historic Year
May 11, 2023
by Jere W. Morehead, President
I am deeply grateful to our talented faculty, staff, and students and our generous alumni and friends for making the 2022-2023 academic year so successful for the University of Georgia.
Among our many achievements were:
- A No. 16 ranking in the U.S. News & World Report list of best public universities in the nation, marking our seventh consecutive year in the top 20;
- A Rhodes Scholarship — UGA was one of only three public institutions to receive one;
- Two Marshall Scholarships — UGA was only the public institution with multiple winners, along with private institutions Harvard, Yale, Penn, and MIT;
- Record demand for a UGA education, with more than 43,700 applicants;
- Record completion rates, with 75.1% of students now finishing their degrees within four years and 88.1% finishing their degrees within six years;
- Faculty honors, including a MacArthur Fellowship, two Guggenheim Fellowships, and five professors named as Fellows of the American Association for the Advancement of Science;
- Research expenditures totaling $545.6 billion in FY22, representing a 10% increase from the previous year and a nearly 56% increase over the past nine years;
- Increased capacity in electric mobility research, education, and outreach through an endowed professorship and additional $5 million gift from Georgia Power;
- New and renovated facilities for research and education, including the Interdisciplinary STEM Research Complex, the Driftmier Engineering Center, and the Experiential Learning Center at Wormsloe;
- Ongoing construction of the new Poultry Science Building, modernization of Science and Ag Hill, and renovation of the historic Holmes-Hunter Academic Building;
- A record $7.6 billion generated for the state’s economy in 2022;
- The C. Peter Magrath Award for Community Engagement, the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities’ highest award for public service;
- A record fundraising year, with more than $257.4 million in donations in FY22; and
- Back-to-back national football championships.
It is inspiring to see how much the UGA community can achieve through dedication, hard work, and a commitment to excellence. I look forward to all we will accomplish together in the years ahead.