The University of Georgia Alumni Association recognized the 100 fastest-growing companies owned or operated by UGA alumni during the eighth annual Bulldog 100 Celebration on Feb. 4 at the Atlanta Marriott Marquis.
The 2017 fastest-growing business was Chicken Salad Chick, helmed by president and CEO Scott Deviney, who received his degree in economics from UGA’s Terry College of Business in 1995. The company is based in Auburn, Alabama, and was started by a stay-at-home mom and her software salesman husband after selling chicken salad at PTA meetings.
To date, the company operates 62 restaurants and has sold 146 franchises in eight states, selling chicken salad in 15 flavor profiles. In 2016, Chicken Salad Chick landed at No. 37 on Inc. Magazine’s annual list of the 500 fastest-growing companies in the U.S., raking in $9.8 million in 2015, with a growth rate of more than 6,000 percent in the past three years. The company has also been named one of FastCasual.com’s top Movers and Shakers and one of Nation’s Restaurant News’ 2015 Breakout Brands.
The remainder of the Bulldog 100 top 10 was as follows:
- Kabbage Inc., Atlanta
- The Holly Purcell Group, Athens
- Charlotte Lucas Interior Design, Charlotte, North Carolina
- SMD LLC, Huntersville, North Carolina
- Two Maids & A Mop, Birmingham, Alabama
- Specialized Veterinary Services, Fort Myers, Florida
- Lake Country Pharmacy & Compounding Center, Greensboro, Georgia
- Cruise Planners, Decatur
- Rev Coffee Roasters, Smyrna