Ocean Sciences Instructional Center
October 24, 2019
by Jere W. Morehead, President
This week, the University dedicated the Ocean Sciences Instructional Center, marking a new era at the Skidaway Institute of Oceanography. Since becoming part of UGA in 2013, the Skidaway Institute has greatly added to UGA’s ability to carry out our sea-grant mission. Faculty at the Institute are increasing our understanding of oceans and coastal waterways; educating students and community members about these vital resources; and helping policy makers, business owners, and other coastal stakeholders make good decisions for today and for the future.
The structure that houses the Ocean Sciences Instructional Center began its life as a cattle barn built in 1948 by the Roebling family on their Skidaway Island ranch. After the Roeblings donated their property to the state of Georgia to create the Skidaway Institute in 1967, the building was used as a staging area for research voyages and as storage for samples and equipment. Now, after an amazing renovation, it is home to two state-of-the-art digital classrooms, a teaching lab, prep lab, faculty offices, and collaborative space for students and faculty.
The Ocean Sciences Instructional Center will enhance every program at the Skidaway Institute. We are grateful for the support of the private donors who contributed to the building’s transformation and for the support of the Chatham County Legislative Delegation and Georgia General Assembly, who appropriated $3 million for the project. With this new facility, the Skidaway Institute of Oceanography is poised to make even greater contributions to our state and the world, expanding UGA’s reach as a leading public research university.